View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to jph
SS stuff

7MM:

Waaaay back in the late 1970's early 1980's I was doing some PW using 440 A and 154CM and it was a bit of a PITA. You DO HAVE to keep out the O in order to get a weld but you do NOT have to put it in a enveloupe. Cleston Sinyard, myself and a few others did alot of tinkering around and we all came up with pretty much the same stuff, cast iron brake drum turning mixed in with the flux, this melts, coats the pieces and allows for a weld.

Back in the mid 1980's I taught this technique to a couple of other folks, Terry Laborde and Devin Thomas being amongst them. The only one of those dozen or so folks that I showed how to do this to give me any credit at all was Mr LaBorde.

Anyway, I got out of doing the SS stuff as not a one of my clients were interested in ANYTHING stainless, not even the "usual" stuff, let alone a PW piece of SS. So the last knife I made using SS for PW is a dive knife that I use still to this day when ever I get wet either for the State or my own pleasure.

If you need any help at this, drop me a line and I will dig through my notesand see what i can do to help you out.

JPH

N-T Hirsute Hine'y Hrisoulas