View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'll do custom designs as long as I think the design is reasonable AND there are no elements in the design that I have never used before. For instance, if I normally made the knife in your picture except that I usually did it as a regular hollow grind then I would not accept the order if it included that tanto style grind which I had never done before.

In fact, I have done those grinds and find them tricky to do, especially if you try to match both sides of the blade. Chances are, if you have never done it you won't get it right the first time you try.

Another example: same knife and you always make it as a full tang but the customer wants a single pin stub tang which you have never practiced. You'd probably want to pass on that until you had time to make a few test knives with that type of handle.

You could accept an order to make that same knife - or a roughly similar one - with the blade an inch longer and without the finger loop. That kind of order doesn't require you to do anything much different than what you have practiced. But, if they asked for that knife with a 10" blade and you never made one before........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!