View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Skilled

I?ve looked at all those display boxes he has for sale? and while much seems authentic, the attribution to a particular SF trooper is problematic. The berets he shows seem to be authentic 1960s, but these can be purchased still and flashes etc. can be added.

Above is a picture of four berets. Which one was worn in Vietnam? The beret with the lining is the one I wore home from Vietnam in late 1968? and it wasn?t even mine! The other two with proper stamps were berets I bought and stashed in 1966 before I went overseas. I had flashes sewn on them about 15 years ago. The beret with the patch ID is not authentic. ..I carry it to the DC mall on Memorial Day to use for children and adults who want to take a picture with us.

Now observe the uniforms underneath the berets. These are period authentic with proper patches etc? but I bought those about 15 years ago and had them patched up. They were not worn by me in Vietnam.

My point is that pictures, boots, berets, medals, can all be bought and then assembled into a display box. This can be done relatively cheaply. Unless the guy offering these was a collector who had access to SF team members (doubt it being these artifacts are in Spain), I doubt any of these boxes he has for sale actually contain true artifacts that are tracable to the trooper whose name is attached. But even if they were, how could you know?

Certainly the knife is not associated with the time period attributed by a statement allegedly from Myers, RT Connecticut. Everything about that knife says later 1970s... shape of guard, lined thong hole, stamp, sheath... And if the statement is truly from him, the knife is certainly a replacement for the real one. The picture is real but the attribution of that particular knife is not. By the way, I will soon have all the info available on Sgt Myers and RT Connecticut.

Jimmontg, I was assigned to A-242 Dak Pek from Jan-May 1968, and again from Aug-Nov. when I EtSed and DEROSed. Small world.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-28-2017 at 06:23 PM.