View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 09:24 PM

I just bought a book on sharpening and have read many posts on the subject. I have a Lansky's and don't like it. I am in the process of modifying my technique to give a smoother edge, but you may want to try it. I do get very sharp and consistent knives.

I took a scrap of leather and cut a straight edge on it. I used a simple plastic protractor to get a 30* angle (I know now that i should be using a 22*, and I will change that before I sharpen another). At that point I cut along the angle line and then straight down making a simple right triangle out of the leather. It's just a few inches long. I then cleaned a spot on my 1 x 30 belt grinder (which wasn't getting much use) and taped the long side of the triangle parallel to the belt. The point on the triagle meets the belt where there is slack.

The stiff leather makes a perfect angle guide for any knife. I put on a 320 grit and lightly make passes across it until I see the burr come up evenly along the entire edge. I turn it over and make about the same number of passes. I then bend my leg to tighten the denim on my jeans and strope a few times per side on my pant leg.

It shaves my arm every time.

Like I said, I am altering this proceedure to create a smoother more durable edge, but it works pretty good as is.

I may attach a photo of my jig a bit later.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."