View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Guru

Ray is right, I would just keep it simple and though I haven't HT S30V or S35VN they are better than D2 even if you don't quite squeeze the best out of them. I sent some S30V out and I am certain the production line methods were not squeezing out the best, but these are some great filet knives. I have a CPM S35VN blade I'm testing for another knifemaker and he did squeeze the best out of it. Cut a lot of cardboard, I do mean lots just sitting and watching TV at my leather station. I use it to cut leather too as it just doesn't dull. Well it did go dull, but only after chopping through a hickory axe handle and about 20 feet of cardboard. If it were smaller it would be my EDC. D2 is good, but not S30V good and D2 is easier to screw up, I HT it in a machine shop and learned the best way to make a knife with it. After using this S30V for filet knives I don't think I'll ever make a filet out of O1 again unless someone wants a dark blued blade.

I would drop D2 in a flat minute for one of these "super" steels if I had an oven and if I move to NM with my son I will probably get one. There isn't that much of a price difference between them either. I didn't make those filet knives out of D2, but as I said I chose the S30V flat bar for a reason. Damon, another maker here had made a butcher knife with it and had it sent to Peters HT. The quality of the blade and the difficulty Damon had getting some of his grinder scratches out of it using sandpaper I put diamond compound in convinced me to use it. Diamond compound is pretty quick removing scratches and it took Damon quite a while to get those scratches out.

BTW I live in an apt Carl and have grinders on a cart to take outside and as its -5 wind chill right now I don't think I'll be going outside to grind. Cramps my style not being able to go to my shop and work when I feel like it as I have no shop.

Just my opinion Carl, but I'd learn a few steels very well like the 440C and 01 for certain and to save money I wouldn't buy precision ground either because I have no idea what it is supposed to do to make a knife better. I mean I am going to grind it anyway so why pay someone to do it first? Am open to reasons why I should prefer it, but for the life of me I do not recall ever reading or hearing anything that said I should pay extra to have my steel ground flat before I get it.

Happy heat treating Carl. Hope I didn't bore you as I'm kind of bored tonight too. Dtec made the S35VN knife btw.