View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Skilled

Boblade,
Cool "Toadsticker"! A little history, regarding "toadstickers", which Bo called "Stiletto's". 1943 was the beginning for them. The term "toadsticker" came from the troops that were looking for this "style" of knife and 1943 was the date, as best recollection serves.
Bo was not real wild about the design of the British "Commando" knife. I recall he tried throwing one and broke the point. He was determined to send the soldiers requesting this style of knife a better all-around knife. He rounded the point a bit more, made the blade wider and shaped the handles larger, making them very similar to the shape we know today.
Early catalogs, at least not the first catalog, did not show this design. The #2 was actually pictured as a totally different design. The Model #2 "Fighting Stiletto", as we know it, came about later.
As I side note: It was not uncommon for Bo to "modify" a Randall hunting knife and send it into combat. He would sharpen the top bevel, solder on a double hilt and install a handle. He often referred to these Randalls as a "commando" knife.
Now I hope that some folks show us their Randall #2!!! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback