View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Guru

Ideally cryo (liquid nitrogen) is best ....depends how low the steel has to go I am not familiar with a2 but I do a liquid nitrogen soak on all my stainless (stainless is 90% of my work) However some steel are ok doing what I call a "sub zero" treatment wich is a mixture of dry ice and acetone....some guys prefer to use alcohole in place of acetone.....It has always been easy for me to get liquid nitrogen from a weld supply store....Now I have a dewar (container for liquid nitrogen) it takes about 3-4 months for the 35 liters to evaporate. However if you have a weld supply near by that has liquid nitrogen before I had the dewar I used a strofoam cooler (NOT the one you can get at the gas station) I used the ones that they pack dry ice in and ship food. The walls of it are about 3 in thick...however the liquid nitrogen will evaporate in 24 hours in a cooler. so I used to get 8-10 blades ready for heat treat and do all at once....I always felt liquid nitrogen was best but like I said dry ice and acetone or alcohol will work for some steels