Thread: My First Knife!
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLOL View Post
Ray, in this case the better advice would be not to forget to tape up my finished blade until after the 5 minute apoxy has been applied to my scales, scramble to find it with no luck, scratch up the blade trying to remove the access apoxy after it cured and then try to get the scratches out of the blade. Trust me, lesson learned, haha. The 24 hour apoxy and painters tape now have a very accessible home in my work bench drawer.
Yes, better to remove the epoxy while it is wet. After gluing and clamping the scales, use a dry paper towel followed by one with some rubbing alcohol to wipe off the excess squeeze out. Note I said a damp paper towel, not sopping wet as that can actually draw epoxy out of the front border between scale and blade leaving a void. I then tape my blade when starting to finish the handle. One trick you may try if you DO get a little epoxy, try a small wooden dowel to remove the dried epoxy. The wooden dowel used carefully won't scratch the blade.

Nice knife for a first try. Much better than mine. Functional design, simple working knife. Good work, what kind of steel?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 06-12-2017 at 09:28 AM.