View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered

GW Stone knives

Wondering if Scott Somers still frequents this blog? I have a GW Stone knife I'd love some info on. When I was in high school Mr Stone befriended me and I worked in his shop in Richardson Texas - a little storefront off Floyd rd near Spring Valley. I cleaned up the shop and he taught me all about knife making, steel, how to use various machine tools, etc. A GREAT guy. Quite a salesman as I recall. He used to bang his knives into various hard objects and then cut newspaper with them as a demo.

Anyway, one day I was cleaning up the metal filings in his shop and he presented me with a knife he made for me. It was a skinner type non-folding of a type he knew I'd admired. I've never once used it. It is marked "Stone" on one side. It has no serial number, or any other markings except for a stamped "SG" in the back of the leather scabbard. I believe this would have been in 1967-68.

I'd love to know more about him. I remember him as quiet a character and unquestionably knowledgeable about various steels, and obviously knife making. I have always remembered him for taking a dumb 14 yr old in off the street and befriending me. I spent a couple of years frequenting his shop. Very very nice man.