View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 11:36 AM
Skilled

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's a rough back sheath. Just well worn. The knife definitely does not belong in that sheath. Somebody got rooted.
Ronnie, I think Johnson (the younger) made roughback sheaths with both tight stitch and loose stitch up until the late '80s when the smooth backs were introduced (?). This is not my "era," but I think the sheath and knife could both be later '80s without there being a date-conflict regardless of rough or smooth.

Honestly, I just can't tell the diff smooth vs rough on that photo ... partly because I never actually cared much as it was outside of my dates of primary interest. The front stamp, as on this sheath, was originally adopted for use on roughbacks presumably because a reliable strike logo stamp couldn't be achieved on the rough leather back of the sheath. But I thought the single piece of leather extending the length of the sheath on the reverse side was a characteristic of a "smoothie"... I'm open to being schooled.

The knife package is nice and the black compass face looks cool and may tend to put it in the '86-'88 date range ... The Vietnam era stone by itself adds value to the package so it may have been a good swap depending on what the OP traded. It just is not the date that was told to him.