Thread: Band Saw Mods
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast

Sam, sounds like you have what you need nearby to cut your profiles......you're lucky.
That's great and will save you money, time and effort.

I knew this mod to my saw would work. I actually have tons of experience with mechanical equipment designed for very high speed and many other various production machines in my 60 years of life! I actually traveled all over the USA repairing and installing high speed labelling machines among other jobs I had in my life. This band saw mod was a piece of cake and not terribly expensive.
I have already cut quite a bit of low carbon steel with my modified band saw and it cuts beautifully besides having tons of torque after the speed reduction. The blade doesn't even get warm and I'm just using "cool blocks" for side blade guides instead of bearings. There is, of course, the standard bearings for the back of the blade to contact (thrust bearings).
For the amount of usage this band saw will get, I know it will last a long, long time.

With this thread I wanted to attempt to help others in their decision process regarding whether or not to modify their existing wood cutting band saw and also what method to maybe use for the modification.
DAVID