View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Guru

I just posted to this question you also put in the heat treat category so here is is ill copy it here

I would say it depends on the exact steel but I would think a 3 step normalization would work....I haven't worked with carbon steel in a while but if I remember the general temps right it would include....heat till about 1600 deg. let cool (not to room temp just let the color fade and maybe 1 more minute) then heat to 1550 again let cool then heat again to 1500 deg and let cool completely I would think that would be enough to be able to drill and do bevels without a problem...it also may depend on how you are doing the bevels for example I can do bevels after its hardened on my grinder if your doing it by hand with files that wont work...there are a lot of variables AND this assumes that the steel blade is a good steel to harden...even when I used to use carbon steel I always used KNOW steels like 1084, 1095 stuff like that but again these days I used stainless so if my temps are off on the normalization somebody will chime in.

just to add to this now you said you ordered 1095....that steel can be a lil tricky for a beginner if you can get some 1084 that is the easiest for a beginner to harden and also has good performance as well....