View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
I tend to blue all my carbon steel knives that take a nice blue and a bunch of my tools including a small 4lb anvil, it provides some measure of rust resistance, but will wear off and rust if used or not oiled and taken care of. I've etched stainless by leaving it in a salt-vinegar brine for a few days, looks like a splotchy stone wash finish. Ray is right though, you just have to take care of them.

If I take O1 to a mirror polish I always blue it. When you take it outside it's hard to tell what color it is because it is so reflective. O1 is a little harder to blue evenly and takes about three blues. The last application is done with fine 000 steel wool and rubbed vigorously into the metal and it helps to warm the metal to where it feels hot in your hand. Works for me and helps quite bit to get an even finish, then wax with a non abrasive wax and oil. I treat my sheaths with Birchwood Casey gun stock wax on the inside and spray Rem teflon oil in there as well. This will darken the outside by the way a bit, but my knives never rust in the sheaths as long as they don't get wet and left in there. I always print out instructions on proper care of a non-stainless knife and waterproof sheath or not I tell them to not store the knife or axe in the sheath long-term.
Yeah I have a printed sheet I give with my knives with care instructions which include not storing in the sheath, oiling, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
Wnc goater...I know your looking for a simple finish...yeh I have been playing with cera coat (it is not simple blades needs to be soaked in acetone, oven to "gas out" then sprayed then back in oven) but in my searching for an acceptable paint finish dura cote makes a paint that does not need to be baked and is sprayed right from a spray paint can so it is the simplest I could find as far as a paint anyway. the only down side is price if I remember right I think it is 40$ a can...something you might want to look into I read ALOT of reviews from knife makers they were all positive results.

Jimmontg....reading your post I am curious do you have any pics of the stainless you etched...I was under the impression that stainless would not take a etch. if vinegar would etch it wouldn't acid (ferric, phosphoric, muriatic) just curious to see how it came out how far did you grind it before etch?
Actually I'm NOT looking for a finish. I prefer the steel as-is and expect to take care of it just like any other valuable tool. I was more curious and thought about applying it to one of MY knives to test and see, and then perhaps offer it in the future...or not. Just wondering ease vs. durability/practicality.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!