Thread: wood handles
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Guru

Sheffields Knife Supply has Dymondwood still.

But beware, their online catalogue is messed up after number 5 it jumps to 8 on the price list, but the picture for 6's description is #8, natural oak which they are out of. I have some rio grande applewood which looks natural. It is 21 in the picture, but 23 in the description.They still have many colors left, call and ask. You can't order online you have to call. The lady who owns Sheffield's is elderly and is not going to change at this stage of her life, but that's OK look at some of their prices. Best O1 and D2 prices anywhere (sheared sheet) and many of their products are inexpensive. They have 3/16 loveless bolts which I haven't been able to find anywhere else. I also know where to get 1/8" loveless bolts, a place called Jephco's Knifemakers Hardware. I ordered 30 @ 0.95 ea. brass nuts with stainless screw.

As for working with dymondwood or Pakkawood be sure and use fresh sharp belts as the resin will burn and then it gets nasty smelling.

As for finishing cocobolo, my favorite handle wood btw. I sand it to 600 grit and then mix some 30 minute epoxy and thin with lacquer thinner real thin and paint it on, it soaks in taking some of the epoxy with it and leave overnight and then do it again. I then, after 24 hours of drying, sand 600 to 1200 and polish with some gunstock oil and that finish helps keep the cocobolo from getting dark as time goes by. If I'm in a hurry I just oil and buff with a buff on a drill press at slow speed. But the epoxy does help fill in the grain of the cocobolo and I have a knife with that finish from 1998 and it's still there. Hope I helped somebody.