View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 PM

4 X 36 grinder modification

I needed to produce a semi-concave area on a knife and only had a 1 X 30 Harbor freight grinder and a 10' disc grinder neither had the diameter I needed. Then I remembered my old 4 X 36 belt grinder which hadn't used for a while and needing at least a 8"diameter wheel for my grind came up with making an attachment that could be fastened to the back side of the platen shaped to simulate the portion of an 8" wheel the knife would actually touch. also utilizing a notch in the top edge of the front side of the platen allowing me to position a box knife in the center of the 4" belt and splitting it into two 2' belts, now by rotating the platen over to the back side,attaching the simulated 8" wheel section and the now 2' wide belt,my needed grind was possible. The attachment is simply a piece of wood wide enough to reach passed the platen on each side and be attached with two pieces of angle, Mine ended up being 2" wide and shaped like an airplane wing so the belt passing over it would simulate about 1" section of an 8" diameter contact wheel.Being only 2" wide the drag produced by the belt riding over the"wing"doesn't seem to slow the motor.
Pretty McGiver but it works well.
Just my 2 cents.
Don