Thread: Caswell finish
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 05:27 AM
Guru

Rasmus am i right that pic is of a HIDDEN tang knife? and Greenback i assume by your question you were talking about a FULL TANG and specificly the edges of the tang that are exposed between the handle scales? So rasmus has the easiest idea just make it a hidden tang and that problem goes away....IF you really want to do it a full tang the only way that i have found to do it that makes it easy enough to do is make the handle scales removable....in stead of using corby bolts and glue either thread the holes in the tang itself OR get a threaded spacer and put them into the holes in the tang then just use small screws through the handle material that way you screw them on do ALL the finish grinding then take them off finish the steel the put them back on....or alternatively use a handle material that will not be effected by the finish....for example i have used a synthetic i think it was a sort of acrylic (i have only done it this way twice and it was a while back but if i remember right it was a acrylic) just finish the knife as usual get all the grinding done then i dunked the whole thing in ferric chloride to etch the steel if you use a material that the ferric wont touch the handle material then you don't have to worry about it.....take a small piece of what ever handle material you plan on using and etch or what ever you want to do to see if it will effect the material....now if you wanted to do something like a cera coat paint or something like that you would have to use the first method i described and make removable scales