Thread: 1080 vs 1084
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Guru

ok so today (after picking up the 100 billion leaves in the yard...at least i got a ride on mower that sucks em up but still a HUGE pain in the ass especially when 6 hours later more have taken there place) well after that... first i hand sanded up to 600... i also diluted the ferric 3-1 distilled water and etched.....i watched it as it went and after a while started to see a lil bit of a pattern so i left it in a lil longer...it was very very faint but this time you could see a lil bit of a patter insted of just a grayish mess...i took 800 grit sandpaper and hit it very lightly as i read that can brighten it up a little....but still verry faint you really had to try to see it. so did more reading and i took some muriatic acid and diluted to about 8-1 with distilled water. i was shooting for a 10-1 but ran out of distilled water and the acid was already in the bucket...100% better than the ferric. dont get me wrong its not perfect probilly due to this being my first attempt. its a dark pattern more of the steel is dark than light but i guess that should be expected as i used more 1080 than 15n20. and its not the best pattern in the world and actually one side is a very loose random pattern and the other is a really loose twist. i didnt sand it with 800 as i did the first etch wich definitely brightened it up but i plan on doing that tomorrow just to see how much i can brighten it up before cutting and grinding it into a blade. maybe i was doing something wrong with the ferric but the diluted muriatic with out a doubt was a HUGE improvement. ill try and post a pic tomorrow i dont know where my camera is and i dont have one on my phone anymore ill have to look for it