Thread: Old file info
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Tip - make sure you grind the teeth off the edge you plan to be the cutting edge and about 1/4"-1/2" up both sides, before you start forging the blade to shape. Otherwise you are just forging micro stress points all along your blade edge.....not good.

Do a snap test on the tang or tip and check the grain pattern. You can also use a cutoff wheel and cut off the first 1/2" from the tip, sand clean then etch in ferric or vinegar. If it's casehardened it will be obvious either way.

Most of the old Simmons responded the same way as Nicholsons as a 1095 range steel (not tried any newer ones). The Black Diamonds had some additional alloying that Nicholson would not disclose, but worked and responded best when HTd as O1 (go figure). Nicholson did at one time state that their regular "Nicholson's" were 1095. No telling what they are now as they no longer respond to request for info/specs.

The Sunflowers are/were made in Pakistan & India (at least I've seen some stamped with either country)....some good some junk.
Gorbets are reported to be "silver steel" which usually translated to 1095 spring steel.
The Heller's farrier's rasp I have seen listed as 1070 somewhere (can't recall at moment), but make decent wrap-around hawks.

Sounds like you have some fun forging ahead of you. Good chance to do some testing and comparison work.
Got nuthin on the K&F.
Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to it. I've built a new gas forge and burner. Also working on converting an old air tank to a charcoal forge. I'm envisioning all manner of pounding steel into projects, not just knives! But I am particularly interested in making some tomahawks.

I just need an anvil. I only have a little 28 lb.-er. Got it from a guy for $10 years ago and have had it in my jewelry shop ever since I hung out the shingle. I've got feelers out with some people in the area to keep their eyes & ears open. I've found a few on Craiglist but most are very proud ($$) of them. I know somewhere around here, in a barn or shed someone has an old anvil slowly rusting. Just got to get the message out to the right ears. There is a guy over in Sweetwater, TN that apparently refurbishes and sells them. That isn't too far to travel if I could find something.

Obviously, I don't want to sink a whole lot of pesos into it if I can help it.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!