View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Coe View Post
It looks to be in good shape. I have never seen an anvil with hold downs forged into the base. It is a wrought anvil because you can see where the steel plate is forge welded on. Is the "20" the only marking? Unusually on old anvils there are 3 numbers on one side like 1 2 3. That is a 100 weight marking but does not designate 100 pounds, it is 112 pounds. So the first number is the hundred weight number. In this example 112 pounds. The second number is quarter hundred weights so a quarter hundred weight is 28 pounds. In this example 2 times 28 is 56. The last number is actually pounds so in this example 3 pounds. Now add them all up and you get the weight of 112 + 56 +3 = 171, the weight of the anvil. If there are numbers close together not separated by a space it is probably an American forged anvil and the number is the actual weight. If there are no numbers on the side it is also probably an American forged anvil.

I would modify the stand to make it a 3 legged stand with the third leg under the horn and angle them all out about 17 degrees. A 3 legged stand is always stable, like a milking stool.

I would value this anvil between $3.00 and $5.00 per pound. If it has no weight markings you can probably put it on a bathroom scale.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne
www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com
waynecoe@highland.net

Thanks Wayne,
Here is the only info I've found online that made me think it is a fisher. If you look about middle of the page there is an anvil that looks very much like this one.

http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/an...her-norris.php