View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

Question Need wiring diagm./help

I will be building my own small heat treat kiln for knife blades soon and I am wishing to make things as simple and easy for me as possible.
It would be a giant help if someone would be willing to help me out with a wiring diagram and PID controller recommendation, etc.

I have search on this forum and found some info which was helpful, but not exactly or totally what I am after. I apologize for any redundancy with my questions and if another past thread/posting is recommended please reference for me.

Here is what I have looked into so far:

1) My kiln size will be small and have an interior size of approx. 4.5x5x10 or 12" deep.
2) For this small size I would prefer to just keep it at 110v heating element.

Basic electrical items needed:
- PID Controller with ramp/soak capabilities..... an alarm output would be nice but not necessary. Auber recommends #SYL-2352P but seems expensive to me.
- 25A SSR
- Heatsink for 25A SSR
- High Temp TC. Auber recommends #WRNK-191
- Metal enclosure box. Auber recommends #Pbox16 to mount above items in.
- Kanthal A1 element wire (maybe 17ga). How many feet and where to buy needs to be determined, I can wind it myself.
- 2 Lighted Switches, one for element and one for controller.
- 2 Fuse Holders for box/panel.
- Some High Temp Wire to connect from element to box.
- Some 14 AWG Wire would be sufficient for remaining wiring but might go with 12 AWG since I have some.

Basic other materials needed:

- K23 Firebricks, maybe 15 to 20.
- Possibly some high temp refractory cement.
- Possibly 2 or 3 ceramic insulators for wires out back and TC.
- I have some 1" Kaowool blanket material to MAYBE wrap over bricks (under sheet metal).
- Angle iron
- Sheet metal
- Misc. SS screws and bolts/nuts, threaded rod and maybe pop rivets. This is no problem.
- Other misc. hardware, etc. I also have a welder if need be.

The things I need help with are:
1) Choosing the right PID controller without spending a fortune.
2) What gauge and how many feet of Kanthal A1 wire to run around the sides and back in order to create the wattage I will need for my small interior.
3) Most importantly a wiring diagram for wiring up the electrical items. I could do this myself, but it has been many years since I have dealt with similar controls. For expediency and ease it would be much better for me to just follow a wiring diagram.

Any help or suggestions regarding the above would be greatly appreciated to say the least.
Thank you kindly,
DAVID