View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers
The difficulty in learning to properly pin a knife together without binding up the blade is one of the main reasons I started making liner locks and using screws. Much easier to take apart, make small adjustments, and re-assemble. In hind sight, I would say whether you learn to pin a knife together or whether you learn to use screws to assemble the knife the two methods are equally complicated. You say you may not be up to building Don's frame lock and seem to be choosing the lock back as an easier way to get your first folder built but it won't turn out that way. Both are very difficult projects the first time you do them. At least with the frame lock project you'll have someone with you every step of the way.
Ray, I hope you won't mind my snipping some of your message out.

Brett, Ray has given you very good advise. Making a lockback certainly isn't easier than making a framelock. The precision fitup between the lock bar and the two places on the heel of the blade where the lockbar rides have to be precise in order for the lock bar to be flush with the handle spine when the blade is open and closed, and to have proper tension and alignment on the blade.

I made lots of slip joints and lockbacks before making my linerlock and framelocks.

In my opinion, a linerlock/framelock is easier to make , and if you make a mistake, it's much easier to correct the mistake.

Neil, welcome back. I'm glad you're well enough to participate again.