View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I can't really help you with all those questions mostly because I've never built a lock back folder. But, you said a couple of things that I would like to comment on.

First, you mention pinning the knife together and this is normally the way lock backs are built - and then you want to use screws for the scales and this is not common. Just because it normally isn't done that way doesn't mean you can do it but it is strange. Normally, the scales would also be pinned.

The difficulty in learning to properly pin a knife together without binding up the blade is one of the main reasons I started making liner locks and using screws. Much easier to take apart, make small adjustments, and re-assemble. In hind sight, I would say whether you learn to pin a knife together or whether you learn to use screws to assemble the knife the two methods are equally complicated. You say you may not be up to building Don's frame lock and seem to be choosing the lock back as an easier way to get your first folder built but it won't turn out that way. Both are very difficult projects the first time you do them. At least with the frame lock project you'll have someone with you every step of the way.

Finally, if you are hesitant to spend the money for the more expensive materials because you think the first knife won't be good enough to justify the expense then consider building a prototype as I do in my liner lock tutorial. Follow along with Don on the frame lock but build the whole thing out of nothing but aluminum. It's cheap and easy to work and you'll learn all the steps and processes. When you eventually get a working aluminum knife the parts of that knife can be used as a pattern to build the real deal. No one ever learned to build liner locks or lock back knives without building a few that weren't quite right to start with and this is an easy way to get past that point.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!