View Single Post
Old 03-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Daigle
Question for Tracy and Steve. One of the drawbacks you are mentioning with several of the products is the color it takes on while curing/drying. I have used epoxy colorant to match liners in the past. Do you think adhesives like the Acra Glass could be dyed, and if so, would it change the strength of the bond??? :confused:

Chris
In another life and hobby, I studied building composite home built airplanes. It is routine practice for home builders to add an inert material such as glass beads to bulk up epoxy. These guys are necessarily extremely conservative about safety issues. If adding a 'filler' doesn't compromise the epoxy for them, it won't for a knife. I've used both liquid and powder based dyes. The powder, I think, can be considered totally inert. The liquid not far behind but I am less positive about this. It takes so little of either to dye a color that I don't think anything less than underwriters lab could possibly measure any negative affect it might have.
I do see people mention thining their epoxy with acetone and I know from experience this will weaken epoxy.

Speaking of Fitzo, he must be squirming in his chair about our testing methods coming from his background. Mike, when I am rooting for one epoxy to win over the others, is that bad???? When are you going to help us out with at least one method of testing?