View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 07:21 AM

You need to show your work, plain and simple. If you don't have a collection of knives to display, then you are going to be hard-pressed to get examples. Be creative.

When I started, I shot photos of my own collection all the time. AS I got more involved I found a website dealer locally who needed a better photographer then himself. I happened in at the right time.

Over two years, I shot over 400 knives for him at $15.00 per image. That's all. I considered this as cheap tuition for the schooling I was getting.

Then I did my first show at a local NCCA event. I offered my montage images at $30 each. Prints included and submission info sent.

All the while I would post my better images online and then support the maker who's knife I shot. The word will get out.

There are 10-15 REALLY good photographers out there. (Many in here...) What is going to be your 'style'? How will you differ? What will you offer in comparison? All valid questions.

Show us your best and show maker's your best. Early on, you had better be prepared to nearly give your work away. I did.

And then there is the whole submission aspect that needs addressing. It's easy to offer a simple portfolio image. What a maker wants is NATIONAL exposure. TIme to purchase knife magazines and find ouot who the contacts are to mail them images AND information also. It's the 'hidden' work that really make a big difference.

I am not threatened by another new face. As you grow, so will I.... Good luck.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??