Thread: rust
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 08:18 AM
Guru

Yeh thats what i though after reading the posts i decided to try the navel jelly anyway worst i take it to the grinder anyway....i left it on for about 3 mins and then again for about 7 or 8 and it etched the blade but very black looks like gun blueing or maybeygun blacking? much blacker than when i tried etching a blade in ferric that turned out gray...this stuff has phosphoric acid in it maybe that why its darker...the handle on the knife is orange and black carbon fiber so it actually looks pritty good it does still have a lil pitting if you look close i may take it to the grinder to get rid of that then MAYBE decide to use this stuff to turn it black again
Ray remember when i asked about that last piece of damascus (i still have the billet never made a blade yet) but remember i was saying i wasnt getting a real dark light contrast like i see in many pics....i wonder if phosphoric acid or even spreading this stuff on it will give it a darker contrast than the ferric i think i will try it ....if i dont like it i can always grind the etch and start again right how deep do you have to grind to get the etch off this piece of damascus doesnt have much extra thickness for what i wanna do with it