View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 03:45 PM

Do not use a regular band saw with a metal cutting blade to cut metal. Your expensive blade will loose its temper before you finish your first cut. It must be a 'metal cutting' band saw. If it doesn't say that, it's incorrect.

I opted for the grinder because band saws take up bench space, are pricey, slower, and have short lives in their cheaper range of quality. My Delta lasted about a year and never cut a straight line--always drifted.

To get a 'variety of uses' out of a metal cutting bandsaw you would be required to change the blade for woods, micarta, etc. (unless you just want to use your metal cutting blade for everything). You also have to lube them as they cut to prevent killing the temper.

I cut my handle material on a small scroll saw which is very narrow on the bench.

Well..., you asked for options. Now you have a few. Good luck and have fun with it.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."