View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Steel Addict

Get on a knife supplier website ie. Texas knifemakers, Koval, ect. Pick up a bar of stainless for your blade and back bar. You'll need some titanium sheet for the liners; I normally use .050 for a liner lock or .100 for a framelock. You can use steel for liners too, but I prefer ti. You're gonna need 2-4 depending on the size of the knife, flathead capscrews in 2-56 for holding everything together. order at least eight button head capscrews in 2-56 for handle and bolster attachment. (I use 2-56 buttons and turn the heads down to an 1/8 inch so they look like smaller screws instead of tapping for my handles in 1-72 or 0-80.) You'll need a pivot, I use 3/16 and two washers. I prefer bronze washers for their lubricity and also they make for a very smooth action with minimal blade slop. And you'll be needing a stop pin of some sort. I use an 1/8 inch dowell, but I'm sure you can buy premade stop pins. That should get you going minus the handle and bolster material of your choice. Order a 2-56 tap..................order 2 you may very well break one. And a 3/16 ream for your pivot hole.
Ya know second thaught, you may as well multiply your whole order by three, cause when you finish your first one yer gonna want to build another one!.....or two......or three.....it never ends. Good luck have fun!!