View Single Post
Old 01-28-2002, 10:50 PM
MaxTheKnife

Re: philosophy

Ok, here's what I try to get into most all of my knives. My style has evolved over a period of time because I like to experiment. But, once I come up with what I think is the best combination of features that make a knife truly functional and beautiful in it's own way, I stick with it. All future knives will have some of the influence of my earlier work.

First, I like a combo or dual purpose blade point or tip. I like to be able to use a knife for more than one thing. So, I generally use a combination drop/clip point style on my knives. The point is dropped but the edge still has the clip style for a nice, round edge. That's all of them besides the obvious Wharncliffe.

Next, I like to have a nice gradual downward curve to the blade. And along with that, a recurve style edge that follows the curve of the spine. That, for me, keeps the whole thing symmetrical and well balanced. The recurve style edge compliments both the Drop point and the clip point. The recurve edge is the most multi-purpose edge I've found. Oh sure, it doesn't work on all knives. The kitchen chef knife for example. Not good. But, on the same hand, you can use a good camp knife with a recurve edge as a chef knife if you need to. It's all in the need at the time. So, the recurve edge gives your knife utility and function. It cuts equally as well on the push as well as the pull stroke. It's all in the geometry of the blade shape.

I like some type of guard on all my knives. Like Dana mentioned earlier, at least a finger groove right behind the edge or ricasso. You'll see that on all of my neck knives. (along with a recurve)

The handle needs to have some curve to it as well. It needs to fit your hand. I don't care what kind of knife it is it, the handle should be forged to fit your hand. Your hand should never have to learn to fit a handle. It doesn't have to be alot of curve. But it needs to be there.

Those are the basics for me. The rest is all gravy. But I'd like to add onto the reasoning behind my choices. Think about cleaning that deer with only one knife. If you use a knife with a completely straight profile like so many drop point hunters, it will be a chore. You actually have to push your hand into the gut of the deer to get it lined up right for gutting. With a slight curve in the blade, the point naturally will be lower than the centerline of the knife profile. That makes it easy to lay the knife down on it's spine and slide it along the belly hide without hooking the gut sack and making a big mess. Who needs a gut hook if your blade is curved in a way that makes it natural to use? That's just my thoughts on the deal. I've seen it work and it caused me to change the way I forge my blades.

Now, when you begin to skin the same deer, that recurve edge with the combo tip really makes it easy. There's no needle sharp point to tear the hide so what you have is a nice, curved edge where it counts most. Hard to put into words. You just have to try it for yourself.