View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Beware of "cheap" sandpaper! That means ANY sandpaper you can buy at big box stores, home repair stores, or dept stores. Although it's not advertised, the vast majority of sandpaper sold in these types of stores is the lowest in terms of quality you will find. It's very common to find 400 girt paper, with stray 220 grit particles in it, and such. Auto parts stores are hit-n-miss..... back when NAPA sandpaper was produced in Brazil, it was excellent. These days they changed to paper produced in Mexico, and it's awful.

My personal favorite sandpaper WAS Norton Blade Ice..... until they raised the prices so high that I could no longer justify buying it. I now purchase RynoWet Redline from Supergrit.

Pretty much all the rest of my abrasives come from Tru-Grit. They offer just about any type/grit/brand of belt available, and have the best prices period. Over the years I've had just about every abrasive manufacturer contact me, asking if I'd like to "buy direct and save". The conversation always ends the same way.... I ask them how much XXXXX belt will cost, and it's always higher then what Tru-Grit charges..... when I tell them I buy from Tru-Grit, they tell me that Tru-Grit has better pricing then they could offer me.
Oddly enough, the most expensive place you can buy belts/abrasives is from knifemaking supply outfits. Most of them buy from Tru-Grit, or direct from the manufacturer (remember I said the manufacturers can't beat Tru-Grit's prices?) then apply a markup of 30-40%, and pass that along to you.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."