Thread: 1095 grain size
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 08:02 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdusthappy View Post
I bought generic vegetable to try and quench 1095. Is veg oil ok? Or should i get canola? I am unsure where I can buy parks 50, is it available online only? Or do some stores carry it?

Thanks!
Since you bought generic veg. oil to try and quench 1095 I'm going to assume you're somewhat new at this. If so, you may do better using a steel like 1084 which is much more forgiving and yet will produce a fine blade. You won't be able to likely tell the difference between it and 1095.

But if you have 1095, realistically probably any vegetable oil or a number of different oils will work and give you some degree of hardness. As Jim mentioned some use a brine solution and it WILL work but get ready for some significant warping and possibly broken blades.
But you'll notice on here most of the really experienced guys, by that I mean people who have done this for years, will try to steer you toward making the best blade you can. They offer good advice and even though they don't all agree on the process every time, they really want you to succeed.

And so, as mentioned above, Parks 50 is generally considered the best oil for 1095 and Ray mentioned Brownell's. Both are a bit pricey compared to simple Canola oil.

But in answer to your original question, get some Canola.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!