View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 01:14 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Frost

didn't Frost use to import some halfway decent looking knives? I remember back in the day that if you couldn't afford Cold Steel tanto's, you could buy a halfway decent cast aluminum handle copy from either Frost or Taylor. i had one and while it wasn't San Mai, it held a good edge and was a decently made knife. What has the world come to? lol. I think that the next step in this young lad's road to cutlery addiction should be to look at some of the decent factory fixed blade and folding (yuck....lol)stuff from Benchmade, Spyderco, Bark River, Blackjack, Camillus, Cold Steel, SOG, Ontario, Ka Bar etc., They all make solid product that anyone can afford. I got my start in knives with those types of knives and a couple of Randalls back in the early 90's after carrying old Gerbers pretty exclusively when I was in the Army. (mark 1 and 2 and one of the old brass and rosewood folders, which i still have I stopped when they stopped making the Mk's out of that O1 type steel.) Ironic that i recently bought an Ed Caffrey hunter, a Charlie Ochs fighter and a Mark Sentz ST24 boot knife and paid less for each than i would have to pay for my old one off stag handled Randall 14 on the secondary market. Actually got the Caffrey and the Ochs for what my cat's tongue Mk 2 would sell for i bet. I traded my four randalls for a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 back in 91 or 92. Today I could get a new Super Grade and a serious German scope and have some change left over. Crazy hobby. My Blackjack Warner-Moran Rio Grande camp knife is worth close to $300 these days....glad i kept it..i think I paid $100 or so for it when it came out..... lol
Babbling terminated 0214 24 Nov 2005
Seriously, tt's a great hobby, but be warned. You may go through several "collections" before you get started on the one you stick with.....hope you have relatives who like getting the old knives as presents..lol
Joe Mandt