View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Welcome to the forums flyinv55.

I'd like to echo Jim Cooper's (SharpByCoop) sentiments congratulating you on your interest in knives. I would just about bet that the knives you purchased are some form of stainless steel, which handles part of the battle in itself.

There are a number of good products that will do what you need. The Tuf-Glide that Jim mentioned is good stuff. Another that I have used for some time is a synthetic called NyOil. Most recently I have started trying out a wonderful product called Ballistol.

Other things I've used in a pinch are mineral oil, non-stick spray oil (for cooking), and olive oil. I have a friend that bought one of my knives many years ago (non-stainless) which he keeps on display at his house. He gave the entire knife a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax (for hardwood floors) and wiped it. That seems to have worked quite well. Another in-a-pinch thing is a thin sewing machine oil. 3-In-One oil works quite well.

It will be interesting to see what other products and ideas we'll see in this thread. And please guys, don't harass a new member about non-custom knives. I do this for a living but still buy factory mades too. Like Jim said, we live and breathe knives around here.

Click the banner above to visit my website

Last edited by Terry Primos; 11-11-2005 at 05:37 PM.