View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

OK, you made me curious so I contacted a friend of mine who happens to own one of the largest Kukri houses in Nepal. I sent him your picture and this is what he said:

Dear Ray,

Greetings my friend/guru. Its very good to hear from you. I do hope all is well with you. Thank you for sending this query to me. I am very glad to share my opinion.

Sadly the khukuri in question is a fake one. A copy for the famous MK3 and MK4 (Military khukuri). I have seen such kukris on many occasions and are a good copy of the original ones. Made somewhere in India, probably in Dehradun or Eastern Pakistan, the maker tries to copy the original ones but fails to give the exact parameters and raw materials compared to the real ones. But this particular one is definitely well made than so many others I have seen and held. I also wanted to make sure before I wrote to you so asked my v good friend who is an expert on this field and who is also writing a special book on khukuri and he also gave me the same answer. He sent me this which I am attaching here w this email. Hope I am helpful here.

The picture below is what his friend sent to him. This doesn't mean your grandad's knife isn't old, they've been making these for a long time, but apparently it isn't actual military issue and not particularly valuable ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 12-24-2017 at 10:30 AM.