View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Guru

I think like you said its personal preference. I am sure we could argue all day wich is better, I think the short answer is do what YOU like they both have there plus and minus's. As jim said on a full tang if you use a soft material you end up being able to feel the tang as its slightly raised. However this can be avoided with the right equipment and very carefull grinding and buffing at least for me . I used to hate doing hidden tangs because I am extremely impatient and I would always file of too much of the guard slot so I always had a lil gap in there. Then I took a note from a traditional katanaI had gotten years back. And put a small spacer in front of the guard. I found it easier to get a tight fit with that and it goes infront of the guard so it will hide a slight gap in the guard tang fit up. Over the past couple months I have come to like hidden tangs better I just have to FORCE my self to slow down when filing the guard slot (oh by the way well I think most of you guys know its hard for me to slow down LOL) However I just got a mini mill and I have a hidden tang blade I am working on, I hope it will help as I can mill the slot pretty close and have less filing to do. So my position on this is STARTING to sway (I still do full tangs) So again do what feels best for YOU