View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 02:57 PM
Guru

Dtech. To be considered a stainless steel it depends on how it is defined. The normal condition for cutlery steel is 13% chromium, so you can see why 440C at 17% is one of the highest in chromium content. D2 at 11% is practically stainless and even A2 at 5% has noticeable corrosion resistance. There is the free chromium content considered by metallurgists that the chrome content that is tied up as carbide doesn't help with corrosion resistance and in a high carbon steel 11.5% of free chromium is needed to to resist corrosion.
Now your 440C has Molybdenum which also is a carbide maker and also helps with corrosion resistance too. Doesn't matter to you or I really. Like I said we wouldn't ordinarily see much difference in corrosion resistance between 440C and 154CM, but the 154 is a superior steel to my way of thinking because it is. 440C is cheaper and you use cryo so go with the cheaper as the cryo can make up the difference for the final product. I have no problems with cryo'd 440C, it's great stuff. The cheap processed 440C is what gave it the bad name.

Last edited by jimmontg; 09-01-2016 at 03:02 PM.