View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 07:24 AM
Guru

yeh the liquid nitrogen soak in a way you can think of it as a extension of the actual quench converting more austenite....I will say there is a difference between CRYO (liquid nitrogen) wich is a little more than minus 300 deg F a dry ice slurry is only about half that of liquid nitrogen some steels that is ok for but some steels the dry ice will do nothing....I have a liquid nitrogen tank so I never use dry ice.

as far as those high tempers I never use that like you said it brings up other issues I agree with that BUT what I don't agree with is that liquid nitrogen wont do anything for high alloy steels I have found quite the opposite that the high alloyed stainless really needs the cryo bath early on I did a couple cutting test and found that the difference was so much I never actually tested it again and cryoed all my blades no matter what some of the simpler steels don't need it the complex steels do need it but I look at it like it may not always be needed with all steels but it will never hurt so I do it on everything