View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Skilled

I mostly stick to commenting on Vietnam era knives. However... this knife is most likely mid-1980s (earliest date) based on the use of "FL" instead of "FLA" in the stamp on the blade. Others can probably pin down the use of that stamp to a specific date. Sheldon Wickersham's Randall Knives Reference Book mentions 1984 as the date the "FL" stamp was introduced....backed up by old RKS posts...and that the stamp continued to be used for years thereafter.

He also wrote that the knurled handle was introduced in 1984-5 and the knurled end knob replaced the straight striations about 1986. The black face compass was used during that time, being phased out late '80s. So the knife is likely >'86 or so. It is definitely not 1960s-70s.

The stone is probably a two grit Norton with yellow paint that was used from 1966 (perhaps earlier) to about 1968-9 or so. Some of these stones may have been left over and included with an occasional knife into early 1970s, but stones have been frequently changed out through the years. They are unreliable as a dating tool for knives and sheaths. That Vietnam era stone is valuable in its own right...probably would fetch over $100 on eBay.

The model "C" sheath has no landmark identification elements that can help date it independent from the stone and knife other than a broad category of Johnson. It is a tight stitch Johnson but I'm not experienced to finally call it roughback or smooth. I think it is a smooth back which would date it to about 1989-91. If it is rough-back, the sheath could date anywhere from mid-70s (no rivets so not earlier than 1972 or so) to 1991. The tight stich would tend to lead me toward an earlier date, but that is just a guess at best. The sheath does appear to have been used a bit, unlike he knife. It does look as if the dye job was done by the owner rather than shop, partly because he dyed the paracord as well as the sheath, something Johnson probably would not have done.

It could be that the knife was substituted, or that the stone is the outlier that was substituted into a mid-80s knife/sheath combo, or that all three elements are from different eras. I hope the person who traded this to you wasn't trying to fool you on knife date, and was just unfamiliar with certain characteristics of vintage Randall knives when he said it was 60s-70s.

On the plus side, the knife is a very clean example of a 30 year old model 18 that should give you a lot of enjoyment. I like the compass too, and it is a handy sized knife. Congratulations on becoming a "namesake" owner... (see the line on "Randall Firearms" below).
Regards.

Last edited by Jacknola; 10-14-2016 at 09:40 AM.