Thread: Lapis dagger
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Steel Addict

That is just beautiful, utterly rich. I cannot wait to see the Frazier collection. That's going to be a dedicated trip as soon as it's open - a pilgrimage.

I understand about making parts, though I haven't made any knives that way (yet! ). You've been an inspiration to me since I first learned about custom knives in about 1970... I talked about you during all those years you were out of circulation and people would give me blank looks - until I started hauling out old knife books to show them what I was talking about...then you could see a love of knives growing where there was barren ground before. Your work has that effect, you must have turned thousands of people onto knife making, either as collectors or as makers.

Back then I never thought I'd make knives - and now I think I'll never make knives like that... But you got my mind turning over, thinking about parts...

One thing I've learned the last couple of years is that the best knives take the longest, and those are the ones most worth the effort. When I started I thought I'd be happy when I learned enough to trim down my time, but as I did I filled in the time with detail and finish.

There's no end! Thank you Mr Hale for continuing to give me a reason to make stuff.

Dave