View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
Also curious, have you ever tried Cerakote, or just Gunkote? Only reason I ask is it seems like gunkote recommends sandblasting and phospating for best results, or anodizing for aluminium, whereas cerakote just needs sandblasting. Keeping the process down to as few steps as possible is my overall goal, but that still comes behind quality of the finish
I've tried most of the coatings at one time or another. I don't sandblast or phospate.... with damascus pretty much the same thing is accomplished via the etching process. After etching I thoroughly neutralize the etchant with windex, give it a LIGHT scrubbing with a windex soaked paper towel, then ensure the blade is 100% dry (blow it off well with compressed air), and then VERY LIGHTLY coat it with Gun-Kote.

Sometime to make things work, you have to find other ways of doing things (outside of the recommendations for sandblasting, etc) It generally takes some experimenting, but you can usually find a way to make it work.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."