View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I personally like Gun-Kote 2400. I've been using it for several years, particularly on "user" Damascus blades. There are certainly "tricks" that you have to learn in order to be successful with it on blades, but once you understand how to apply it, it works very well.

I generally use the satin clear variety for coating damascus blades. The "trick" with it is to CLEAN the blade thoroughly after etching, and then apply it via an airbrush. The key being to apply it LIGHTLY.... just 1-2 passes down each side of the blade with a very fine mist. If it gives a "wet" appearance, then you've applied too much, and the end product will look "plastic coated". Acetone it off and try again.

I did a lot of testing prior to offering it on any blades sold..... I made myself a damascus hunter, and after taking it through a Montana hunting season (it went through a total of 6 animals), the finish was as good as it was the day I applied it.

The only issue I can ever remember having was when a client decided to "clean" his damascus hunter with steel wool.... it fills the coating with fine scratches, making the whole thing look hazy, and basically it's unrepairable without tearing the entire knife apart, regrinding, and rebuilding. I've since added to my care instructions NOT to use steel wool or other abrasives to clean any coated blade, and make it a point to say that my warranty will not cover it if a person does.

For the most part the clear Gun-Kote has solved more issues then it's created.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."