Thread: Nitro-v
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 07:49 PM
Guru

Ray does have a point Dave, your S35VN knife was done very well and cut up a bunch of cardboard and some scrap dymondwood I had laying about and still held an edge. I wouldn't be surprised if your 440C isn't as good as it can be too.

The AEB-L steel is a great steel for somebody that doesn't have LN capability as it only needs dry ice (-105) for cryo and to be dropped down to -95 degrees or better and it doesn't even need to be soaked for long. A slurry is needed if you're doing several knives at once and for long soaks, but if only doing two or three just laying them flat between two blocks of dry ice will get them down there.

The Nitro according to the Sandvik 12C28N data sheet will benefit more from the LN you already have Dave, but according to the temper table on the data sheet for the Sandvik it has a very low temperature for tempering. So a lot of experimenting will be necessary to get the best out of it as they are not exactly the same. There are just so many high performance alloys out there now it's a smorgasbord of which one should I try. I wished I had a HT oven and a tank of argon.