Thread: Black Damascus?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Bluing has "trade-offs" too. One of those is the TYPE of bluing method used. "Hot" bluing has the problem the high heat wrecking the heat treat of a blade. Cold bluing often produces "blotchy" results on a blade.

The method I use most often to increase contrast is Baking Lacquer.... I etch a blade until I can feel the topography with a finger tip. Clean the blade well with #0000 steel wool and soapy water, then clean again with acetone. I use a gloss black baking lacquer, and air brush it on the blade. Bake the lacquer on, then afterward, when the blade has cooled, I use a hard, flat sanding stick, and 600 grit paper to LIGHTLY sand the blade, taking the baking lacquer off the high areas of the topography, then follow that up with 1200 grit. What results is that the black baking lacquer stays in the low areas of the topgraphy, and the high areas are bright silver.
The best way to learn what works best for you is to just experiment. It takes time and effort, but from my perspective its time well spent.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."