View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 05:17 AM
Skilled

The first knife has a much heavier blade and I had difficulty making it flex. What I did see SEEMS to be okay but I'm not totally convinced. I batoned it into some hard maple wood and drove the tip in then pried sideways. Nothing bent or curled. But considering this thinner blade I'm not totally convinced and it makes no sense one would be fine and the other not okay.

I have quenched about 2 dozen knives in this same gallon of canola and wonder if it has a "useful life"?

I may need to try the brine. The first 1095 I got from Jantz and this batch from Aldo. In between I used some 1084. Maybe this is a bit different and the canola is just past the nose as you suggested. Dunno.

What little I've read, brine is mixed about 10% by weight so about .80 pound to a gallon of water. Is the brine heated before the quench? I'll do more research on the brine.

For whatever reason I'm not getting a fast enough quench with the canola and this batch of steel so I guess I'll risk a cracked blade and try the brine.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!