Thread: Respirator
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 12:09 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Ah, that type of full face mask. Well, I doubt you'll be able to see below any better with those masks than with a half face mask. You'll also want to keep a few extra lenses on hand for those as they will miraculously get scratched up more easily than you would think.

In effect, those masks are nothing more than half face masks with a face shield built on top. I have a very good half face mask and when I want better eye protection for certain jobs I add a full face shield like this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/AEARO-COM...hield/19675106

That solves the fogging problem, the heat problem, the eyeglass problem, and the expense and difficulty of replacing the shield in the full face respirator. I can even wear safety goggles under the shield if I really feel the need for additional protection. Plus, when I don't need it I don't have to support the extra weight which, trust me, you will start to notice on long grinding sessions ...

PS

Whatever type of respirator you decide on be sure to check the availability of filters before you buy. Those masks you are looking at are intended for painting and dust and, as such, have the wrong filters for what we do. In many cases, the correct filters are available but you need to be sure before you buy and you need to know their prices as some are ridiculously high and you will need to change them regularly....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 11-24-2016 at 12:16 PM.