View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Guru

Talking 3/8 to 1/2" is good too, less cutting.

Happy to help Carl, just remember it is rock and though a softer one it is brittle. If you have some blue G10 1/32 thick and some white 1/32 spacer material it will really set the Larimar off with white-blue-white spacers. Or whatever colors you think goes with the Laramar you have as it does vary some. Something I will add, though I have not personally done it. If you have a wood band saw with 14-16 TPI blade it should cut it as well as a hacksaw, same for a slow speed steel cutting band saw, just use the finer teeth. I use a jeweler's saw on harder stone as Damon said for some. Here is a link to his work as he is very good and knows his business better than I do.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oiseaumetalarts/

Carl, are you thinking of using it as scales on a full tang? If you are, you must protect the front and rear from drops. It will shatter. Use guard/bolsters front and back. No peening pins and tightening too hard screws like corby or loveless bolts on the stone, snug is best and use clear caulking for gluing it to the tang, cleans with vinegar. Spacer between the bolster and Larimar and a spacer on the tang. I've done both, hidden tang is safer and easier. But I do not know your skill level so do what you think best.

Larimar is softer than Desert ironwood or African Blackwood believe it or not, just more brittle, fiber through silicate is the difference. That's why the link said it can be as hard as 6 if it is more fibrous and if the Larimar is more fibrous then it will be less brittle, like rebar in cement.

You can make the whole handle out of it, but it will just be for show. I could make the most beautiful knife handles from some gemstones, but they are brittle and will break. I'm trying to get some striped malachite and blue azurite right now myself and found it at Sheffield Knife supply in blocks 1.25x1.5x5" sizes I want, but reconstituted stone, which is not real gem stone, but pretty is pretty, just hope she doesn't have an evil temper.LOL