View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Guru

My mistake on forges.

Thanks Doug, like I said I'm not an expert, but I had no problems forging a knife on a 100 lb anvil. I do believe the trick is mounting it. Notice I didn't give links to 50 pounders. I think a properly mounted 70 lb anvil will be good for most forging of knives. I must admit that I made sure to hammer towards the center or lengthwise and my mistake on omitting that particular was just that, a mistake. From what I read, these are high quality and affordable anvils which I guess was my point. I do not have a thousand bucks for a 200 lb + Wright anvil. A middle ground anvil that is affordable.

I wasn't aware of farriers forges not being suitable for knives. Thanks. I think there are a couple of small ones that may work, but haven't seen them actually work. All depends as you pointed out on gas flow.

Of course it is cheaper to build your own. That is why I put the caveat of "those who don't want to." Jantz supply sells gas forges for knife making as do other knife supply companies. Was just adding an extra place to look for some knife related supplies. Prob shouldn't have put in Newbies thread.