View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 05:02 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

This is me rolling my eyes. If you do literally what you just said you want to do you will be embarking on an entirely new and considerably complex discipline called lapidary. You will need some moderately pricey tools and you will need to learn a whole new skill set.

To answer your questions as asked, you will break them getting them to shape because you have not yet developed the skills nor do you have the proper tools to work stone. Yes, there is a hidden mechanical means of holding the stones and it is called 'setting' the stone. It is a jewelers skill, yet another for you to learn and master.

You could do all that OR you could put the pretty stones in a drawer and forget about them. Go to any knife supply place and buy some recon stone. This is the stone you see me working on the chef's knife video (you know, the DVD that I wonder if you really watched). Recon stone can be easily worked with the tools to already have. Once finished, it looks just like any other stone (because it is, more or less). Recon stone can be set like any other stone, or you could use it on a stick tang or stub tang (as in the video) which eliminates all the issues about settings.

In short, you can do this the hard way and learn a whole new set of skills OR you can spend your time making knives ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!