View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 AM

Hi Dan,

The percentage you give a dealer should be up to you.

The main question to ask any dealer is "What am I getting for my MONEY"?

Questions to ask:

1)Do you set up at shows? This allows clients to handle your knives in a part of the country you might not get to. Merely attending the show does not do you any good.

2)Do you have a web site? Most dealers will have one.

3)What is your position in the market in which you will be selling the type of knives I make?

4)How many knives are you planning on buying with the first order. Generally if the dealer is legit they will purchase 3-5 knives. If they will not step up and buy that many or order as the case may be. If they will not do this..you have the answer to question to number 3.

5) Why would you take a knife on consignment but not buy it? For my business if I don't think enough of the makers work to buy it...I won't take it on consignment. I will however, give them suggestions as to how to improve their work to the point where I will buy it.

6) Are/have you been a judge at custom knife shows? This will give the dealer some legitimacy if they are asked to judge at shows.

7) How do you plan on promoting my work?

8) Are you interviewed by the knife magazines with some regularity (5 times or more a year). If they answer yes, ask them about what subject matter they are asked about. If it is slip joint folders and you sell drop point hunters...they probably will not be able to fit your "name" into the article.

9) Do they write for the magazines? Might be unfair. Currently there is only one dealer in the world writing for two of the three top knife magazines.

10) Do they do seminars for collectors and/or makers.

Point to all of this is as an example: someone who merely attends shows and has a web site will not do near as much as someone who has a website and sets up at shows.

So you have to figure out how much you stand to gain from giving the dealer a discount.

On average you can expect to give 25% - 30%. But they need to show you they deserve it.

Just because someone has a business card and says they are a dealer does not mean they will be able to help you.

Hope this helps.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com