Thread: heat treat D2
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 08:13 AM
Guru

Grey shadow....First you can call me by name its Dave ......I am not sure how I got the title GURU under name it just poped up one day...my perceived definition of a guru is a "expert" and a "teacher" I do not consider myself a expert by any means. I have learned a lot in a short amount of time most of it coming from the guys here and a lil trial and error (maybe more error than I would have liked LOL but I am hard headed) Even tho I really try to help the new guys that come on here especially with teaching them to HT by breaking knives and coupons to check the grain and just go through the process as it was taught to me when I was new. Even offering to test coupons for hardness and stuff like that. But again I don't think of my self as a teacher maybe more of a reflector I take the info I was taught and give that info back out.

Anyway trugrit has the best priced belts that are out there...for grinding bevels I start wit VSM ceramic 60 grit then go to 120 and 220 Norton bluefire belts...then from their I branch out usually hermes or 3m gator belts depending how far up the grits I intend to go and what I want to accomplish...I can say those belts work great on my KMG but I cannot give any personal advice on smaller grinders and how those belts would work. When I started I started with one of those cheap 4x36 grinders with the disk on the side....lets just say it did not work well at all and my hands were all ground up....I was lucky my father was still alive and offered to buy me a grinder (I don't think he though it would be over 2000$) but he kept his word so I jumped right to a KMG very early on. Other than the obvious advice that smaller belts will wear out quicker than larger belts I would sugest to try different belts and see what works best...at first I didn't want to use the 3m gators because of the cost but I got a few of them and I have found if I use all of them (80 grit to 600 grit...or if I stop sooner) they produce a good finish they do the work quick and they last a lot longer than I expected...now I use them all the time. However I did find if I jump back and forth say 80 grit 3m gator then 120 grit hermes then 220 grit Norton then back to gator....well they don't work as quick like that also they wear out quicker as you have to push harder to get back to that same finish....once I use one of them I wont switch.

I have put the plates in the freezer before I really haven't noticed any significant difference. But when I use plates I put the foil packet between the plates and blow air in on the side that the edge faces...I will stay right there and continue to blow air until I can pic it up with my hands it only takes a couple mins. I only use plates about 30% of the time if its stainless Damascus yes.....but with steels like s35vn its in the oil till in turns black then hung in a vent pipe with air blown in on the seem of the pipe. each steel is different 440c can come out good with plates and air or oil...