Thread: heat treat D2
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 07:49 AM
Guru

Yeh the color wont last forever that's for sure. I never liked the file test because the whole first year I knew of no one near by and the "bite a little" can mean a different thing to me than you...that is one of the reasons I got a hardness tester

Any way no hammering a knife through a rod is not the brass rod test that is a "Hollywood" style test they do on the show....a real brass rod test is done after the bevels are on and its sharpening put the brass rod on a table....lay the blade flat across the rod lift up the spine so you want just the secondary bevel (or edge bevel) is on the rod push down on the blade until you see the edge just slightly deflect over the rod now with keeping pressure on it roll the edge over the brass rod the length of the edge. Now if you put enough pressure to deflect that edge one of 3 things will happen the edge will chip wich means its to hard OR the edge will deflect but wont spring baclk slightly bending the edge forming something like a burr along the edge that means its too soft....what you want to happen is the edge will deflect but as you roll it across it will spring back to the original position. then its right